We’ve been spending the last couple of weeks working on the new balance changes which are coming out pretty great, and whilst we won’t be able to release them yet you can probably expect Wave 1 to be out by next week.
Anyway, in this update we’re going to go a little bit deeper into what exactly is changing with the upcoming balance patch, but first we have some unexpected news for you.
Big in Japan
As most of you know back in the day there used to be many more games on OPR than there currently are, which were removed during the big purge of 2017.
One of the most popular games we had was called WarStuff, which was a very simple skirmish system designd to be played with any miniatures (or other stuff) that you have at hand.
The game came with a simple point calculator that allowed you to quickly put together units for anything from green army men to toy dinosaurs to even just random objects (ever wanted to fight a bottle of shampoo?).
Anyway, it seemst hat WarStuff was the little game could, and now this wargaming sensation has spread all the way over to Japan!
Yes, you’re not dreaming, someone took one of our games, translated it to Japanese, and filled the rulebook with cute illustrations.
According to Akinori Nishiyama (the guy in charge of this project) there’s a growing community of 300+ players that uses WarStuff for their wargaming needs.
Since we’ve been in contact we’re looking into adapting the game further for the Japanese market, so let’s see where this takes us!
Download WarStuff (JP): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rl9Ln2W8nWLb5sGZ2iHiv4NjHpDL_oze/view?usp=drivesdk
Before anybody asks, as we already mentioned in one of our previous updates we’re planning to bring back a lot of our old games in the new One-Offs format, and you can expect WarStuff to be one of them.
Right now we’re focusing on releasing all of the new balance changes, but youc an expect more news right after that’s done. :)
Grimdark Future at MACE
From his announcement:
“I will be at MACE in Charlotte, NC next month and will be running demonstrations of Grimdark Future with conference attendees. We will be using my terrain and my fully painted armies. It will be a visual spectacle to ensure that I champion OnePageRules in the most memorable way possible.
There are still open spots at my table. If you are near North Carolina and have an open schedule, consider a last minute trip!
Link to his post: http://onepagerules.proboards.com/post/9248/thread
If you don’t know Wyloch, he’s the guy behind a ton of awesome Grimdark Future Video Batreps, which you should definitely check out!
Upcoming Balance Changes
So, we’ve been talking about the new balance changes for the past couple of weeks, but what exactly is changing?
Whilst we don’t want to go into too much detail as to what exactly is going to change for each army (since with 40+ armies that would be too much for a single post), we’re going to give you a bullet point overview of what you can expect.
Here are the overall changes that are coming:
- Rock-Paper-Flamer – The basic troops of each army will have access to melee or ranged weapons that allow them to deal with different types of units, such as infantry hordes, heavy infantry toops and monsters/vehicles.
- Shred Rifles & Beast Pikes – For those armies that don’t have any existing weapon that fits the bill to counter certain unit types we’re going to be introducing new wepaons such as the Shred Rifle and the Beast Pike.
- Upgrades as Alternatives – To give players more interesting choices most melee weapons and some ranged weapons are being re-worked so that weapons aren’t one strictly better than the other, but instead that they have different stats so they are each alternatives that deal better with specific targets than others.
- Swiss Army Psychic – All armies are going to have access to some sort of spell caster, and all of the spell lists are being re-worked to give them spells that can deal with different types of units, such as infantry spam or heroes that hide in units.
- Walker Stomps – Walker units are going to lose the Impact rule and gain a new Stomp attack, which makes them more reliable in melee and also ensures that if both their army are replaced by ranged weapons they’re not suddenly unable to squish infantry units.
- Bikes & Charging – Biker units are being re-worked to be more effective at charging and so that they can be used as effective cavalry units that devastate enemies in melee (but can also still be equipped with ranged weapons if you so desire).
- Lowering Randomness – In order to make units more reliable we’re going to be lowering the amount of random rolls that are in the game. For example if a spell used to say “deal D6 automatic hits” it will now say “deal 4 automatic hits”, this way you always know what to expect.
- Streamlining Melee – Finally to make things move along faster we’re going to be re-working the Fear and Furious rules, as well as streamlining the amount of units that have access to Impact.
Of course there are a ton of other little changes happening here and there which will re-balance the game, but those will be all detailed in each army release wave update!
If you’ve always thought about supporting the project and were just waiting for an opportunity to get something extra neat for doing so then make sure to check out our Patreon, which will give you exclusive early access to all new army balance changes right now.
That’s it for today folks, hope you have a nice weekend. :)
Support us on Patreon: patreon.com/onepagerules