Today we’ve got an interesting update for you, with an explanation of AoF v2.50, an overview of all the new February content, as well as a bunch of videos for you to check out.
Let’s get to it!
Writing Jam Reminder
Only 2 weeks until the next Writing Jam everyone!
The official OPR Writing Jam #4 will take place on the weekend of the 18th of February, so make sure to save the date. This is a 48hr story writing marathon, focused on writing one-page stories set in the OPR universe.
Sign up here: https://itch.io/jam/oprwj4
AoF v2.50 Explained
Progress on AoF v2.50 has been going well, and if everything works out the way we hope, then the beta will be available to play in a couple of weeks. In preparation for its release, we wanted to take a moment and give you an overview of what is changing from the current versions.
If you’ve been following the development of GF v2.50, most of this stuff will be already familiar to you, so we’re gonna try and keep this one brief and to the point. Overall the changes in GF were much bigger than they are in AoF, so chances are you won’t notice any significant differences whilst playing.
Here’s what you can expect:
- No Bad Picks – Some units are currently useless without taking specific upgrades, so we’re tweaking those in such a way that they are always viable to play (even without upgrades).
- Unit Power – The attack power of certain units is currently too low / too high relative to their Tough stat, so they’re being tweaked to make sure that nothing is too weak / too strong in the game.
- 2+ and 6+ – The probability of 2+ and 6+ stats is hard to balance in both cost and feel, so we are reducing the amount of units with these stats. This means that most Archer units now have Defense 5+.
- Heroes – Similarly to GF, hero profiles are being condensed in order to save space, and give you more options. They now also have access to new unit buffs, as well as army battle standards, giving you a lot more flexibility when customizing your heroes.
- Wizards – Again, similar to GF, most spells casters are going down from lvl2 to lvl1, with lvl2 being reserved for legendary units, and lvl3 being removed from the game.
- Unit Sizes – Currently there is little reason to take some of the basic infantry units compared to elite units, leading to bad picks. In order to balance that, most elite units are now in blocks of 5, whilst basic infantry come in blocks of 10.
- Special Weapons – Right now all basic infantry units have access to Dual Hand Weapons and Great Weapons upgrades, which has skewed the balance of the game. In v2.50, those upgrades are now only available on elite units, whilst basic infantry only get access to Spears and Halberds as upgrades.
- Weapon Ranges – The range of weapons has now been capped at 36″, with most artillery now being in the 30″-36″ range. Crossbows will have 24″ range, whilst Rifles have 18″ range (and Pistols 9″ range).
- Chariot Changes – Chariots are going down to Defense 3+, and are getting more melee attacks. Also, when taking archer crews for chariots, they now fire more shots (but get less melee attacks).
- Monster Changes – Monsters are going down to Defense 3+ as well, but most of them are going up to Tough(12) to compensate. They’re also getting more attacks, and similarly to chariots, when taking ranged options they have more shots (but less melee attacks).
- Artillery Changes – Artillery profiles are being condensed, so that we don’t have half a page of essentially the same unit with different weapon options. Most artillery weapons now also have double the amount of attacks that they used to, making them a little more reliable when shooting.
We know that change is hard for everyone to accept, but as we’ve seen with GF v2.50, these new versions are a vast improvement to the balance of our games, so they’re worth it.
Once you’ve played a couple of matches and got used to these changes, you won’t even remember they ever happened, and will be able to enjoy a more balanced and fun experience all around. :)
Also, please don’t forget that this is a beta, and things are still going to be tweaked, so once the armies are available we’re looking forward to hearing your feedback.
New Mission Packs
The latest mission pack has been released on Patreon, with 4 brand new missions:
- Grimdark Future – Secure the Drops
- GF: Firefight – Hit & Run
- Age of Fantasy – Opening Duel
- AoF: Skirmish – Grand Tournament
These missions are focused on fun new ways to play, with interesting objectives and special rules to spice things up. We release new missions every month, so make sure to stick around so that you don’t miss any.
Note that whilst the missions are designed for each specific game, you can totally play them with the rules for any other game (with slight adjustments). This means that you have even more missions to play each month!
New Miniatures on Only-Games
Don’t care for 2D printing or 3D printing? Well then we’ve got you covered, because now all of the minis we released in November have been uploaded to our Only-Games Store.
February Patreon Release
Check out our new release and support OPR!
This project was made by gamers for gamers, and can only exist thanks to the support of our awesome community. Please consider subscribing on Patreon, where you’ll get tons of extra games, models and more.
Thank you for your support!
Follow us on Instagram!
Make sure to follow OPR on Instagram to see tons of pictures and videos of our painted miniatures: https://www.instagram.com/onepagerules/
New Video Content
That’s it for today, have a nice weekend everyone. :)
Support us on Patreon: patreon.com/onepagerules