This week we’re gonna be sharing the community survey results, a development roadmap for FTL, a new bundle, some news about what’s coming in August on Patreon and more.
This is going to be another big one, so let’s get to it!
Community Survey Results
Last week we promised you the community survey results in our insanely big update, and now finally the time has come to reveal your thoughts. This was the biggest community we ever did, with just over 350 responses before we closed it, and it’s really great to see the community grow and come together like this. :D
Now then, let’s get to the results.
When it comes to the game jam frequency it’s interesting to see that from the players that are actually interested there is an almost 50-50 split as to who wants the game jam every 6 months, and who wants it every 12 months.
Seeing how there is a demand for it, we’re going to try out making it every 6 months to see how it goes, and those that prefer to participate only once a year can still do that.
With that in mind, we have changed the date for the next game jam, and it is now planned to run from November 13th to November 15th, and you can sign up already here: https://itch.io/jam/oprgj2
This question was more out of personal curiosity, but it’s interesting to see that only about 1/4th of players use Instagram for wargaming, which is funny seeing how it’s one of the biggest social media platforms in the world.
Anyway, as always with surveys these results could be flawed though, so maybe the reason why the results are so low is exactly because we don’t currently have an Instagram presence, but maybe if we did then we’d be attracting those players, which would bring the numbers up.
When we added this question we really didn’t know what to expect, but it’s interesting to see that there’s at least 40% of players interested in a Kickstarter campaign. This definitely gives us the confidence to give the platform a try, and whilst we don’t have anything planned yet, you might see an OPR Kickstarter in the future.
Now for the most interesting part, new games. Unfortunately google forms kind of cuts some of the name of the options when loading the graphic, so here’s the top 10 voted games:
- Dungeon Crawler – 47.5%
- Mech Combat – 44.6%
- Small-Scale Sci-Fi – 41.7%
- Cyberpunk – 30.4%
- Hex Arena Combat – 28.1%
What’s funny to note is that we threw the Dungeon Crawler option in there as an afterthought, and it ended up being the most voted one after all, who would’ve thought. Anyway, these results are pretty different from the last community survey, with only Dungeon Crawling and Cyberpunk still at the top, whilst everything else is new.
Looking at this list there’s definitely some game ideas we have to create interesting experiences, so you can expect some of these to become a reality in the future. :)
It’s also worth mentioning that we had an open text field where people could put their own suggestions, but all of the suggestions were so different that it makes no sense to list them here. The only one that was suggested multiple times was Napoleonic, so maybe in the next survey we’ll add it as an option to see if people vote for it.
Moving onto the army charts, on the Grimdark Future side things have remained mostly the same since the last community survey, with no big increase or decrease in player counts for any army.
On the Age of Fantasy side things are also pretty stable, with the exception of the Chivalrous Kingdoms falling behind by a bit, whilst some of the newer factions slowly wrestle their way to the top.
We love having the community survey, it gives us a great insight into the mind of our players, and how they enjoy the wargaming hobby in general.
At the end of the survey we left an open text box, and whilst there were far too many things said there to address right now, here’s a couple of the things that people mentioned most often, and our thoughts:
- 3D Print-on-Demand: Some players suggested that we start collaborating with 3D print companies to give people without 3D printers the option to buy our models. We’ve actually been in talks with a couple of them, and if we can get you a good deal, then you can expect something like that in the future (no promises though).
- TTS Models: Some other players suggested that we start create an official OPR mod on TTS and provide our 3D models for playing there, which honestly we had never thought about, but will look into. Again, no promises, but we’ll see what we can do.
- Online List Builder: Thanks to the exceptional work of Darguth, there are a ton of armies for both GF and AoF already available on BattleScribe to help you build your lists (check it out here). Now some players suggested that we make our own online list builder, and whilst it would be great, we don’t know that it’s worth the investment. It would take a lot of time and money to develop, which we generally think might be better spent on developing new stuff, instead of re-doing something that already exists with BattleScribe. Never say never, but right now there are no plans to develop something like that.
- Video Battle Reports: This is something we’ve had people request for a long time, so let’s dig into it. Now a lot of you might not know this, but OPR is fully created and run by just 1 person (hi!) living in a tiny apartment and with a full-time job. Even if I wanted to start making battle reports, it would not cost a lot of money and time to make, but I would also have to either move or find a studio space. Then I’d need to get a good table, lighting, armies, camera, etc. to make the whole thing look great. That’s simply not possible. I’ve already contacted countless creators on YouTube, and everyone is too busy creating their own content, so they’re not up for any sort of partnership with us. If you want to see GF battle reports, your best bet is to check out the ones made by Wyloch’s Armory, which are awesome.
There were also a TON of people that sent us a lot of compliments, and we’d like to thank everyone for the kind words and their awesome suggestions. Working on this project is a dream come true, and none of this would be possible without you, so you are the real heroes that should be thanked! :D
FTL Status Update
FTL has now been in early access for 1 month (yay!), so we thought it’s time to give an update.
Right now we’ve got all of the core rules, ship types, heroes, upgrades, weapons and squadron types ready, and we’ve moved on to work on the faction’s book.
There are going to be 6 factions in the game, and we’ve decided to release the factions in phases so that we can take a good look at them, get some playtesting done, etc.
If everything goes well here is the plan:
- 05/08 – Empire vs Alliance
- 12/08 – Marauders vs Nomads
- 19/08 – Progenitors vs Xenos
As we release these piece by piece we’ll also start working on the full rulebook, hopefully getting the beginner’s guide done by the end of August, and then doing advanced rules by the beginning of September.
The goal is to try and get the game “ready” by end of September, completing the 3-month development cycle, at which point the core rules will go out to the public so that we can get as much feedback as possible, and we’re thinking that we’d like to wait at least 3-6 months before we can consider the game to be fully stable.
As part of the release of the game you can expect some awesome 2D and 3D models, but more on that later…
One last thing, over the course of development we realized that the game was pretty similar to Warfleets, so we decided re-name the game from Faster than Light to Warfleets: FTL. In order to avoid future confusion we have re-named the current Warfleets back to Orion’s Gate. This change will allow us to treat Warfleets as a game engine, which can then be adapted to different settings. Think Warfleets: Fantasy or Warfleets: Naval Battles.
Vile Rattus Cult Army
Last week we saw the successful funding of the Vile Rattus Cult Kickstarter campaign, and with that we’ve now released the Vile Rattus Cult army lists for Grimdark Future and GF: Firefight.
In celebration we’ve created a bundle with all of the ratmen heroes made by ThatEvilOne for OPR, which you can now get at a 33% discount: https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-model-collections/ratmen-heroes-bundle
August Patreon Goodies
In August we’re starting to offer a 20% Discount Code to all of our Tier 3 supporters, as well as a welcome pack with 3D print tokens and a 3D printable ruler for you to play with.
Here’s all the goodies you can expect:
- Warfleets: FTL
- Jakob’s Path: Chapter 2
- 2D Kingdom of Angels
- 3D Tokens & Ruler
- 3D Battle Sisters Walker
- 3D Dwarf Giant Construct
- 3D Gnoll Warrior by Manuel Boria
In the meantime we’ve uploaded the July models to our stores:
AoF: Regiments on WargameVault
This week we put up the last one of our Full Rulebooks up on WargameVault, meaning that all of them are available for purchase there. It’s still much cheaper to get them on Patreon, but if you can’t subscribe for whatever reason, at least now you have the option to buy them separately. :)
Get the rulebook by clicking HERE.
Finally we wanted to give you an update on the forum change from Discourse to Proboards.
The migration process has started, with us changing the url and activating the ad-free version, so you can expect for the forum to be fully functional in the coming days.
Whilst the final url will stay the same (forum.onepagerules.com), it’s going to take a while for the change to happen, so in the meantime you can still use the old one: https://onepagerules.proboards.com/
We’re actually really happy to be switching back to Proboards, the interface might be a little more “old school” but we find it much easier to navigate. PROTIP: use http://forum.onepagerules.com/posts/recent to see the latest posts.
That’s it for today, during the next couple of days I’m going to be travelling, so I might be a little slow to answer any questions, so let’s hope nothing major breaks during that time. :D
Support us on Patreon: patreon.com/onepagerules
Join the Community: Facebook – Twitter – Reddit – Forum – Discord – Newsletter