Today we’ve got a bunch of cool stuff for you, with a teaser for Darkness Whitin, results for last week’s Community Survey, a ton of new Gang Units, plus some news for 3D Printing as well as a brand new 2D Print Collaboration.
Let’s get to it!
December saw the completion of the Jakob’s Path narrative campaign for Grimdark Future, so starting in January we’ve got a brand new Age of Fantasy narrative campaign coming at you called Darkness Within.
Community Survey Results
Every 6 months we’re happy to make a community survey, where players get the chance to tell us what they want to see in the future, share which armies they play, and provide any feedback they have.
Usually we also have some extra questions about other stuff, but this time we decided to keep the survey lean and simple, focusing on the things that matter to us the most.
Let’s see what results we got. :D
Which of these settings would you be interested in for new full games?
Alright, this is the big one, as it guides the development of our next games, and it seems that we got pretty much the same results as in our last survey, except that this time “Customizable Skirmish” has also shot it’s way to the top, and we’ve got a lot of votes for a One-Page RPG as well, which is not the norm.
Here’s the top 5 highlighted:
- Small-Scale Sci-Fi – 37.5%
- Mech Combat – 35.6%
- Customizable Skirmish – 32.9%
- Cyberpunk – 28.8%
- One-Page RPG – 21.9%
Let’s break down what we’ve been planning for the future, since it’s going to be pretty much in line with the survey results:
- Very soon we’ll have a One-Page RPG system coming as a one-off game, to test the waters and see how people like our approach to the genre. If we see that it gets a good response, then we might expand that into a full game in the future.
- Then we’ve got a new Skirmish Adventure Game that we’ve been trying to develop over the past couple of months, which will also scratch a bit of that RPG itch, but most importantly it will be in line with the results from the last survey.
- For Mech Combat, right now we’re working on revising the FTL rules, and once that is done and we’ve got the full game released, we’ll be working on a Mech Combat game that uses a modified version of the same engine.
- For Small-Scale Sci-Fi, that’s something that we’ve been thinking about for a very long time, and we’re probably going to build a system that uses a similar model as FTL, where you have a core set of units types and customization options, plus 5-6 factions that can be further customized (instead of 20+ army books).
- For Cyberpunk, we’ve currently got the Double Tap rules as a one-off, and would be very happy to expand those into a full game, so that’s definitely coming some day. Honestly with the development speed we have we’re not sure if it’ll be possible in 2021, but we’ll try.
- Finally, for Customizable Skirmish, we’ve had some ideas on how we could expand on WarStuff to make it a little more fun and customizable, whilst also adding some new ways to play, and we’re planning on working on that as a side-project since it doesn’t take up as much time as developing other games.
That’s it on the games side, now onto the next two questions:
Which Grimdark Future armies do you play?
On the Grimdark Future side things are pretty stable as usual, with lots of Battle Brothers players dominating the landscape. It’s really cool to see that we’ve got some people that are playing the armies we’ve done in collaboration with TMC and TEO, and we’re hoping to do more in the future!
Which Age of Fantasy armies do you play?
With Age of Fantasy we also have more or less similar results as in the last survey, with a much more balanced distribution of armies played. It’s also cool to see that some people are playing the just recently released Giant Tribes, which are definitely a niche army.
Do you have any suggestions for things we should do with OPR (new games, armies, features, etc.)?
Finally, the open question is always a delight, since we get such a diverse range of feedback, questions, suggestions, and more. There’s also always a bunch of you who use this opportunity to thank us for making the games, which is very heart warming, and actually I have to thank you for making this possible. This project truly couldn’t exist without it’s fans, and I’m happy that we have such a nice community! :D
Now onto some of the feedback, I’ll try to keep it brief:
- Some people have asked us if your focus will shift from games to miniatures, and the answer is a very decisive no. The miniatures are a great way for us to further establish our own settings, to provide fans with something cool, and to provide funding for the project, but that’s it. Whilst we definitely want to keep expanding and improving our miniatures, we have no intention to stop focusing on the games. We provide regular updates to all of our games, and currently have 3 games in early access, with more coming in the future, so we’ve actually ramped up our game development as well. So don’t worry about the games, lots of stuff is coming your way!
- Lots of people commented that they’d like to see more stuff like Gang Wars but for the other games, like a Mordheim-style game, or Crusade-style rules. That’s definitely something that we’re planning on doing, so it’s just a matter of time before it’s released.
- There’s also lots of people that have suggested we do map-based campaigns, and that’s also something that we’ve already been planning on doing, so it’s just a matter of time before we get to it.
- Some people have asked us to provide solo-rules for our games, but actually we already have solo-rules for all of our 5 mainline games. This probably means that the information is not displayed well on the website, and we’ll have to take a look at how to make things more visible.
- In addition to that, a lot of people have asked for a solo/coop skirmish dungeon exploration game, and as we mentioned above, we’ve got a Skirmish Adventure Game in the works which is exactly that.
- There were some people who asked if it’s possible to play our games online, and it definitely is! We have an active community of players that use Roll20 and TTS, so make sure to join our Discord server to set up games.
- Some people asked if we have plans to release 100% original OPR armies for 3D printing, and that’s also something we’ve been planning on doing. Right now we’re going to be doing 2 regular army releases followed by 1 original army release, so you can look forward to that.
- Finally, a lot of people have said that they enjoy the little snippets of lore we provide, and that they’d like to see more. Well, fret not, as we’ve got a whole series of campaigns coming out which take place in our game universes, so there’s lots of lore coming you way.
I’d like to thank everyone who took part in the survey once more, and we’ll be back with another community survey in about 6 months when we can catch up again! :D
New Gang Units
With Gang Wars being currently available on Patreon, we’ve decided to go back and re-visit the Gangs of Hive City army list, adding 20 new units for the existing gangs, as well as adding a completely new mercenaries gang, which features units that can be taken by any gang to bolster their abilities.
- The Cult – Mutant Shamblers, Bomb Rats
- The Hidden – Spiker Telepaths
- The Femmes – Murder Maidens, Wild Runners, Lynx Beasts, Chimeric Beasts
- The Brutes – Combat Stimmers, Forge Natives, Berserkers, Pet Crocodiles
- The Miners – Weapon Masters, Jetpack Wreckers, Cargo Cyborgs, Guard Mastiffs
- The Artisans – Archeo-Techers, Neo-Techers, Arachno-Suits
- The Bodyguards – Elite Subjugators, Subjugators, Robo-Dogs
Holiday Sale – 50% Discount on MMF
This holiday season you can get 50% off everything in our MyMiniFactory store by using coupon code OPRXMAS50!
Note: Promotion valid from 15th of December to 1st of January.
New Army Bundles
The complete set of Alien Hives and Mummified Undead have now been released as a bundle on MMF, and with a hefty 20% discount on top. Combine that with the 50% discount above and you’re in for some madness! :D
Grab them here:
Last Call for Painting Contest
We’d like to remind everyone that the December Painting Contest is still running, and you’ll be ale to submit until the 20th of December, so only 2 days left!
Collaboration with Chimeric Creations
This month we’ve got a new collaboration with Chimeric Creations, who make awesome 2D fantasy miniatures: https://rebrand.ly/ChimericCreationsDTRPG
Chimeric Creations was actually started by one of our community members Murmillo, who has been working toward creating fantasy miniatures that can be used to play miniature wargames and RPG’s. This set actually works perfectly to play a Dark Elf warband in AoF: Skirmish, or even build a small Dark Elf army for AoF!
Download the files here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/43388556
New 3D Print Previews
Finally we’ve got some new previews for the models that are coming this month, which are looking great!
That’s it for today, hope you guys enjoy all of the new units, models, and Darkness Within teaser. We’ll be back next week with our last update of the year, what a ride this has been…
Support us on Patreon: patreon.com/onepagerules